Out of memory with the latest procmail

2001-09-16 09:17:29
After my sysadmin installed 3.22 the other day (on my suggestion),
a lot of my mail started requeuing over and over instead of being
delivered as usual.

The system is an Alpha box with a separate pop server that
I as an ordinary user can only reach via port 110.  The
suggested manner of using procmail on the system in question --
which I have been doing for 3 years starting with ver. 3.10
and going through 3.15 with no real problem[1] -- is to do whatever
filtering one wants locally, then send, via the rc-file, what's
left to the pop3 server for pickup remotely (e.g., I use Outlook
to access that mail).  This is done as follows:

At the bottom of the rc, anything I want to end up on the
pop server falls through this:

  :0  # fall-through action: dispatch to my inbox via sendmail
  ! username(_at_)pop

Most, but not all, such mail is now failing (and requeuing)
with an out-of-memory error.  I have to move my rc file
temporarily, wait for the queued mail to fall through to
/var/spool/mail/$LOGNAME on the *local* machine -- this is NOT
in an area accessed by the standard pop3 server -- then replace
my rc file to continue filtering new mail.

The admin last year actually engaged a second pop3 server
that works with the *local* mailspool (and which spool is
therefore completely accessible to me at shell level), but on port
109 instead of 110.  So now, to get the failing mail, I've been
collecting it locally via port 109 after having temporarily
moved my rc.  This results in much duplicate mail, since a good
deal of my mail did make it to the segregated pop server but also
sits (as a precautionary backup archive that I've long used) in
my local spool.  Ugh.

Anyway, I'm hoping Philip or someone else can give me
some ideas as to why I'm suddenly getting out-of-memory
errors with the latest version, and what I might want to
do to try to resolve it.

I do have verbose logging turned on.  Here's an example from
one that requeues:

[deletia]
procmail: Executing "echo $ACKS/*/"$FROM""
procmail: Out of memory
buffer 0: "echo $ACKS/*/"$FROM""
buffer 1: "echo $ACKS/*/"$FROM""
procmail: Notified comsat: "munged@:**Requeued**"
From dman(_at_)munged(_dot_)com  Sat Sep 15 16:32:16 2001
  Folder: **Requeued**
2793

The recipe that leads to that output is part of my long-used
set that checks for recent mail from sender's address and
sends a not-more-than-weekly auto-reply if it's the first
instance of mail from the sender this week.  It's a rather
complex set of recipes, so I'm not jumping for joy to post
it here now, though I'll be happy to if someone really thinks
doing so would be useful.

[1] Well, there are actually some problems, but they aren't related
to procmail insofar as I know.

--
Dallman Ross <dman(_at_)nomotek(_dot_)com>
Residence Telephone: +49 (6122) 98 04 46