Re: Maintaining Unix mailbox files

2001-09-19 01:47:27

Eugene Alperovich wrote:

Hey everyone, Does anyone know if I can use procmail/formail to remove
old mail from users mailbox on a Linux machine? What I want to have
(eventually) is a cron-ran script that each day checks all the
mailboxes (around a 100) and removes any mail older than a week.The
idea behind this, is that this server works as a backup -so it's only
used if the main server dies.For the record, I am using sendmail
8.11.2 and ipop3d on a RH 7.1 linux . Thanks in advance,Eugene

I use formail to trim some mailboxes based on number of messages ($1 =
mailbox, msg_skip is no of messages to leave in mailbox):

      touch $TMP_MBX
      cat $1 | formail +${msg_skip} -nbfY \
            -s formail -bfYI "X-MBX-Trim: $trim_date"  >> $TMP_MBX

    rm $1
    mv $TMP_MBX $1

Mike