Re: Bursting an archive file

2001-09-21 14:07:14
Matthew wrote,

| I am not sure of how to set this up to burst this
| into separate messages with formail.  I only want to keep
| about 10% of the messages.
| It's obviously
| cat file|formail some parameters >> file

Only if you want to wear a big scarlet UUCA on your chest.  It should be

  formail -des < archive > file

or if you want to run each message through a procmail rcfile so that
procmail can determine whether it's one of the 10% you want to keep,

  formail -des procmail -m special_rcfile < archive

where the special rcfile will set DEFAULT to the final file and have
whatever recipes are needed to send undesired messages to /dev/null (or it
can set DEFAULT to /dev/null and have whatever recipes are needed to send
desired messages to the final file).

[Hmm.  That brings up a religious question if a cron job winnows the file on
the Sabbath.]