Filtering sendmail virtusertable actions with procmail?

2001-09-25 18:31:23
Hi everyone,

I'm using sendmail 8.11.6 on a FreeBSD 4.4-R system.  The sendmail on this
system hasn't been recompiled in any way.

This machine will become a mail server for a series of hosting customers.
However, in most cases rather than having their mail delivered locally,
this mail server will forward incoming mail for each domain to an outside
address for that customer.  In other words, the MX records for each of
their domains will point to this machine, and the virtusertable will
contain many entries like:

webmaster(_at_)fishsticks(_dot_)com     fred(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com
@fishsticks.com wilma(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com

etc.

I love procmail and am very comfortable writing procmail rules.  However,
in every case where I've used procmail the mail has been delivered locally
(either by procmail or by a .forward pushing the messages through
procmail) and I'm unsure how to implement procmail as a general filter in
the case where sendmail processes the mail but it isn't being delivered
locally.  I realize that the solution of having each virtusertable line
being associated a different UNIX login account on this system, wherein a
separate procmail rule does the filtering and finally forwards the message
to its ultimate destination, would be ugly.  I also realize that
attempting to have procmail decide where the mail should go once the
envelope information has been lost is a lost cause, so there wouldn't be a
way to have just one procmail rule take care of these needs.

What is the simplest way to have procmail filter all of the mail that
arrives at this machine, regardless of how sendmail ultimately ends up
handling it?

Is the only way to do this to implement the "milter" feature and have
milter somehow push all mail through procmail?  If not the only way, is
this the simplest way? If so, could anyone point me towards instructions
on how to use milter with procmail?

Any help that could be provided would be greatly appreciated. I've read
through the Sendmail book, sendmail.org, sendmail.net, a huge amount of
procmail stuff, as well as a lot of postings on Usenet without gaining
much insight into how I should go about this.

Sincerely,

Russell Brunelle