post processing

2001-09-24 09:43:48
 How well does promail handle file locking for post-processing?

I'd like to set something up to allow users to run a script that sends
their mail thru procmail after having been received. Normally, this sounds
straight-forward and easy enough but I'm looking for robustness. Specifically,
- what happens if mail comes in as the mbx is being processed? Their mbx could
    be quite large thus the run could take a substantial amount of time so
    this is a very likely scenario. One thought is to copy the mbx to a temp
    file and work on that but..
- what if there exists corrupt data in the mbx; how do you unwind the
   changes?

Is it even possible to deal with these circumstances or are that not even
worth worrying about?

TIA

 David Stern                                            University of Maryland
                Institute for Advanced Computer Studies