Re: Generate digest messages for mailing list?

2001-10-17 06:34:57
Reiner asked,

| am subscribed to a high-volume mailing list that does not offer
| a digest function. Now I was wondering if anybody has already
| succeeded in emulating the digest functionality locally with
| procmail?

While that's possible, there may be an easier approach.  How are you getting
your mail?  Can you possibly divert messages from that list to a folder of
their own (one of the major functions for which procmail was designed) and
then look at that folder only once a day?  The only thing to be gained in
getting digests instead of individual messages is to cut down the number of
email deliveries; if you still have to get each article as a separate
dispatch, it won't help anything to make digests out of your own copies.

| I would like to have all messages collected during the
| day and moved to my INBOX once every day.

That's different: just to move them to your inbox once a day instead of
recasting them as formal digests should do the job.  The questions are what
level of access you have to the system where you get your mail and how you
connect to it.  I don't want to advise you to use an assortment of Unix
commands if you have no shell login there, for example.