Re: MATCH

2001-10-19 19:35:13
On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Andrew Edelstein wrote:

This was my intent, and I have rewritten my recipe to this format
(it is actually about 40 tests of subject, from and to conditions).

In that case, you might want to put the conditions in a variable earlier on,
then reference that variable in the recipe. Something like:

SUBJECT='pmtest|cybr|etc'
FROM='deliberatus(_at_)my995internet\(_dot_)com|foo(_at_)bar\(_dot_)org|etc'

Is there a benifit to this, other than readability of the recipe
itself?  I cannot imagine a real speed advantage.

Actually, it was:
* ^\/(Subject.*(   ...etc

So you want the header field name in $MATCH as well, not just the contents?

It was because this recipe suddenly started trashing messages at
better than double the "normal" rate.  I just want to see what it
was finding to cause it to send them to the trash bin.

Always a wise idea to not have any new recipe throw things away until it's
fully debugged. :)

It was working as expected for quite some time.  I THINK what
probably happened is one of the mailing lists that I am on (there
are two that use the same advertisements) probably had something
that matched one of my ill-formed regex recipes.  Just a
guess.  This recipe normally matches about 20 messages a day and one
day it matched 47 and the next 38.  It has been back to around 20
since I started looking for an explanation.  Unfortunately, (or
fortunately) it has not been matching anything I did not want it to
match.

Verbose logging is also quite useful when tweaking any recipe.

Speaking of that, can I do something like the following:

LOGFILE=/normal/log/file
VERBOSE=no

:0
* condition
normal_mail

OLDLOG=$LOGFILE
LOGFILE=/speciallogfile
VERBOSE=yes
:0
* condition_for_trashing_mail
trashmailbox_or_dev/null
VERBOSE=no
LOGFILE=$OLDLOG

By doing this, I could set a specific logfile for this recipe.

Thanks once again for your assistance.

--
Butch Evans
http://www.ChristInVerse.com/