Re: procmail vs maildrop

2001-10-25 12:30:57
Paul wrote,

| I just started considering maildir ad a mailbox format, and came across
| a package called 'maildrop'.  ...

| The web site (http://www.flounder.net/~mrsam/maildrop/) recommends using
| maildrop instead of procmail as a local delivery agent.

If it's the same "maildrop," there was a procmail user who didn't like the
effect on his system of procmail's keeping the entire message in memory and
its unawareness (at the time) of qmail maildirs, so he wrote an LDA that
works with messages stored on disk instead and delivered to maildirs (which
now procmail can do as well).  The thing is, to keep it lean he omitted
every feature of procmail that he personally hadn't been using, so last I
looked at it it was missing a lot of things that procmail can do.

If you don't need functionality available only in procmail, by all means use
maildrop.