Re: Use procmail to split nntp messages

2001-11-01 22:17:02
"David W. Tamkin" <dattier(_at_)ripco(_dot_)com> writes:

| I've been writing scripts and struggling
| with this for a while.... Jeez... Thanks David.

You're welcome, Harry.

| I guess there is no cool way to strip the "From " header off before it
| goes to its final resting place  ... eh?

If you didn't add one any other way, including -f among formail's options
will make it resist adding one itself.  If it's already there, -I'From '
will make formail remove it.

Well heck, this gets better and better.  Just about everything I was
trying to do is done by formail.  I need to pound the documentation a
lot better.

So without trying this yet, I guess you are saying that formail, with
the right flags (-d) will recognize the nntp `Path: ' and send it on to
procmail for sorting in whatever way.  And if I use the -f flag it
will never put the `From ' on there so nothing to remove.

But now all that time I spent figuring out how to get awk to use
getline to add the current $LOGNAME "hostname" and date to a from line
was a waste of time.... hehe. But I bet I use the experience some
where.

I think this was a classic case of not having worked on the docs
enough.  Thanks for your patience!