Re: procmailrc without $HOME

2001-11-05 07:03:44
Paul Chvostek asked,

| Is support for /etc/procmailrcs/ built in to procmail, or does it have
| to be somehow manually included in the MTA?  ...
|
| And which takes precedence?  If a user has BOTH a ~username/.procmailrc
| and an /etc/procmailrcs/username, is one used and not the other?  Or is
| one read first?
|
| And when /etc/procmailrcs/username is run, is it with the permissions of
| the user rather than root?

I've been wondering about those things myself; not administering a system, I
can't find out by experimenting.  (And since it would affect his users'
mail, it seems that Paul can't just experiment either.)  So maybe if I say
what I believe, people who know better will correct my mistakes and we'll
all know the answers to this.

My understanding is as follows:

1. Procmail will not automatically read rcfile code from files in
/etc/procmailrcs/.  You have to send procmail there with an INCLUDERC or
SWITCHRC assignment; usually that's done in /etc/procmailrc rather than in
~/.procmailrc.

2. If /etc/procmailrc has told procmail to SWITCHRC to an rcfile in
/etc/procmailrcs/, and procmail gets to the end of the rcfile in
/etc/procmailrcs/ without final delivery, procmail will go to ~/.procmailrc.

3. If procmail is running setuid root as the LDA and is sent off to process
a file in /etc/procmailrcs/, it will do DROPPRIVS=yes, setuid to the owner
of the link (hard or soft) by which the file in /etc/procmailrcs/ is called,
and setgid to that user's logon group.