bounces to && from MAILER-DAEMON, postmaster

2001-11-14 02:27:00

For much spam that arrives here, I'm considering the email undeliverable
and sending back a standard MAILER-DAEMON bounce message to the sender.
When the sender doesn't exist (or his (yahoo|([gh]ot)mail|excite).com
address has already cancelled), my outbound MAILER-DAEMON message is
getting a response from another MAILER-DAEMON with the undeliverable
notice.

At the moment, I'm not filtering anything root/postmaster/mailer-daemon
for fear of missing something important.  But that fear is rapidly being
overpowered by the need to sift more efficiently through the cruft.

Anybody have any tips for what should be considered "safe" for a
postmaster account?  How about a recipe that bitbuckets MAILER-DAEMON
bounces to MAILER-DAEMON bounces?  What do people consider "best
practises" for this sort of thing?

--
  Paul Chvostek
<paul(_at_)it(_dot_)ca>