Re: majordomo

2001-11-14 20:07:18
On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 08:55:28AM -0800, Professional Software Engineering
wrote:

Is it a bad idea to filter mail being sent to majordomo?

You want to put a filter in front of majordomo?  No problem.

I know.  I've been launching /usr/local/bin/wrapper from a recipe
for some time now.  The question was whether it is *wise*, and if
anyone had come up with recipes to watch inbound messages to
avoid having majordomo process junk mail.

somelistalias:          "|/usr/local/bin/procmail -m /path/somefilter.rc
\"original majordomo filter command, sans the leading pipe\""

I simply removed the alias, then created a ~majordom/.procmailrc with:

 :0
 |/usr/local/majordomo/wrapper majordomo

Ditch spam before it gets into majordomo.  That's not the purpose of the
filter set I just implemented for an associate (running several large
international mailing lists), but pretty much the same principles which
apply to filtering your own mailbox would apply there

So I take it you don't have specific recommendations, then?

- just keep in mind
that when you throw out a message, it in't your own inbox you're cleaning -
it's a mailing list, and you could be ditching a specific user's email...

Actually, it's not even that.  I'm trying to block messages to MAJORDOMO,
not messages to the lists.

Here's what I came up with, but I want feedback on it before I put it
into production.

 # transferred from aliases.majordomo...
 :0
 * ^TO_majordom(_at_)it(_dot_)ca
 ! majordomo-owner

 # places where majordomo might get mail

MYDOMAINS="((it|cuic|microlab|actionnow)\.ca|(int|canadian|actionnow)\.org|it-mail\.net|ca-unlimited.com)"

 # filter by recipient
 :0:
 * ! ^TO_(_at_)${MYDOMAINS}
 spamtrap

 # filter by content (approximately)
 :0 B:
 * !    ^[      ]*(end|\
        (un)?subscribe|\
        (new)?(info|intro)|\
        (new|write)?config|\
        signoff|cancel|approve|passwd|which|who|\
        mkdigest|lists|help|get|index|auth)
 spamtrap

 # hand it to majordomo
 :0
 |/usr/local/majordomo/wrapper majordomo

Anybody see any problems with it?  Is it safe to assume that any
legitimate email for majordomo will contain at least one majordomo
command in the body?

--
  Paul Chvostek
<paul(_at_)it(_dot_)ca>