Re: Search Condition

2001-11-24 04:16:04
At 08:51 2001-11-23 -0700, SoloCDM wrote:

| sed 's+>\([a-z0-9/"'(]\)+> \1+I'

[Lots of good ideas and, frankly, deserved chiding ommitted]

Is the trailing "I" supposed to be a flag to the regexp?  Please
cite a sed manpage reference for it if so.  I suspect you think it
means case insensitivity (perhaps you're confusing sed's regexp
with perl regexp, which uses a *LOWER CASE* i to flag case
insensitivity).  even egrep doesn't use a /I -- it uses a -i
parameter.  If so, you should just specify the A-Z within your
sole character class.

 11:53am [~] 210[1]> echo foo | gsed 's/FOO/bar/I'
bar

gsed does accept the `I' flag to mean case-insensitivity.
It's not in the man page, but that's because the gnu
utilities' man pages are known to be incomplete.
From deep within the gsed man page comes this quote:

                                          There are also some GNU
       extensions.  [XXX FIXME: more needs to be  said.   At  the
       very   least,   a  reference  to  another  document  which
       describes what is supported should be given.]

That said, I don't disagree at all with either Sean's main
points or light scolding.

--
dman