RE: file saving

2001-12-04 09:11:14

Andy wrote:
Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2001 4:41 AM

thanks for your quick response but we get
2 attached files where we do not know the filename, it differs each
time. i'd need to write both files down to disk. would be nice if you
can
gimme more detailed information on the complex variants for saving my
files to the disk.

Hmmm, I don't know of the recommended way for handling this. You have
two sub-problems: (1) determining the number of attachments, their
names, their types, and in particular determining the attachments you're
interested in, and (2) extracting the attachments of interest, and
saving them to a unique file name that might contain the filename, and
the date/time, a sequence number, or some other artifact to ensure
uniqueness.

A recent message to this list asked "how to get the attachment part?".
You might want to follow that thread.  I'm interested also in hearing
about the recommended way to parse and manipulate MIME attachments.  I
see over on Source Forge some Python and Perl modules that might help do
the job, but would like to know which tools this group of developers
uses and would recommend.