Re: Not understanding some basics

2001-12-11 11:07:05
At 22:30 2001-12-10 -0700, C. Porter Bassett wrote:
mda "/usr/bin/procmail -d %T"
I cannot figure out what the purpose of the  -d %T is.  If I leave off
those flags, it still works, but each email is missing a few key lines,
without which mail readers such as mutt or pine can't read them.

I suggest you try reading the man pages, starting with the rather appropriate 'man procmail'.

These are the lines that don't get put in without the -p %T:

-p or -d, which is it?  I doubt it is -p.

Also, can you use procmail to filter an already existing mailfile?

See 'man procmail' or read the FAQs linked from <http://www.procmail.org>.

As a simple case, I set my .procmailrc to do nothing but put all messages into my inbox. I try to run
$ cat mailfile | procmail
but it interprets the entire mailfile as one long email,

This is well covered in the manpage (there's a whole recipe shown in it "Procmail can also be invoked to postprocess an already filled system mailbox").

Hint: procmail expects ONE message on the input. If you're handing it a mailbox, you need to use formail to SPLIT it:

        formail -s procmail -m somercfile < mailfile

In any event, if the rcfile shouldn't OUTPUT to the mailfile you're using for input - move the file first.