Re: Plussed addresses (Re: Passing RCPT_TO value to procmail)

2001-12-13 14:33:43
At 07:22 2001-12-13 -0800, Bart Schaefer wrote:

Be careful with this.  Based on the unknown-user notices that come to the
postmaster here, it's a farily common "address scrubbing" botch for
spammers to either drop the plus sign and mash the two parts of the
address together, or to use only what's to the right of it.
So if you don't choose the plussed part carefully, you'll just direct the spam to somebody else.

Excepting that possibility of causing spewbots to parse them down to someone elses address (which is, uh, someone else's problem... <g>), both of these "failure modes" (user+plussed -> userplussed or plussed) sound like nice ways to avoid spam if the scrubbers are doing this (provided that the plussed or userplussed named aren't otherwise valid on your system).