Re: Problems delivering to a directory

2001-12-29 08:08:38
Tim asked the following (and I want to add this to the answers Gary has
already posted),

| I'm delivering to a directory and are getting messages with filenames
| starting with 'msg.XYZ' where XYZ is a variable.
|
| That was OK (although I would have preferred 001 002 003...
|
| But now I'm getting messages in a sub-directory called 'new' with
| filenames like 1009502670.8193_3.khan.peak.org
|
| Any idea:
| 1) Why this is happening?

You have told us that you just upgraded from a pretty old version of
procmail to a current one.  Before procmail attempted Maildir support,
delivering to a directory name and giving it a trailing slash (but not
slash+period: that has meant an MH-style directory as far back as I can
remember) just was a way of telling procmail to make sure that the name
existed and was a directory or else report an error instead of delivering
there.  Now a trailing slash (without a period after the slash) means a
Maildir, so if you have recipes like this:

 :0 flags
 * conditions
 directoryname/

that would explain why you used to get plain directory delivery but now you
get Maildir delivery.

| 2) How to stop it?
| I want ALL the messages to get delivered to the SAME folder.

Get rid of those trailing slashes:

 :0 flags
 * conditions
 directoryname

If you still want procmail to test whether the directory is there and
waiting (so that it doesn't create a plain mbox if the name doesn't already
exist or add to a plain file if that name is already in use by a plain file,
write it this way (thanks, Philip):

 :0 flags
 * conditions
 directoryname/../directoryname

If you want to have numbers as the filenames instead of $MSGPREFIX plus
unpredictable strings, maybe MH-style directories will do it for you:

 :0 flags
 * conditions
 directoryname/.