Re: man formail question

2002-01-02 02:33:02
Harry Putnam <reader(_at_)newsguy(_dot_)com> writes:
I went looking for information on how formail finds the fields
specified in -A -a -i -R -X etc flags.

For example:
If I have a rule that says

  |formail -R Message-ID: X-Message-ID:

And a message comes thru with Message-Id: (note the lower case d),
will this rule miss it?  Is the first argument after -R from a known
set that formail uses or does it scan the headers looking for what
ever is the content of that argument?  Can the first arg be a regex
like: -R Message-[Ii][Dd]:

No need.  Formail always does case-insensitive matching on header field
names, as demonstrated by a quick test:

callisto% echo "message-id: foo" | formail -f -R Message-ID: X-Message-ID:

callisto%

(The -f option in this example and the one below is just to suppress the
"From " line that formail would otherwise add, as it's not relevant to
the question.)

I found something that looks like it might be part of an answer in man
formail:

What does this mean?
 NOTES
      When  renaming,  removing,  or  extracting fields, partial
      fieldnames may be used to specify all  fields  that  start
      with the specified value.

Is this just a convoluted and guaranteed to confuse way of saying that
`formail -R Z X-Zappo:'   will find all headers starting with Z and
replace them with X-Zappo.

Well, let's give it a try:

callisto% cat message
zed: sldfksd
zebra: sldkfjs

callisto% formail -f -R Z X-Zappo: <message

callisto%

Could I solve the above problem by saying:
  formail -R Message  X-Save-Msgid:

Or does it mean something else?

Which problem?  What did you expect it to mean?

Philip Guenther