Replacing the default Solaris 8 mda with procmail

2002-01-02 03:37:22
Hi all,

I've been using procmail a bit for mail filtering and it's
pretty cool.  I'm setting up a new box and have been
playing around trying to use procmail as a drop in
replacement for the Solaris 8 default mda.  I'm not running
any MTA (ie. no sendmail, exim, etc).  I just want to be
able to use procmail for local delivery's.

My question?  What is the Solaris mda.  Is it
/usr/lib/mail.local?  Or is it something else.  I've done a
truss on a mailx mail session but can't see what program
gets called.

I've tried dropping in procmail, compiled with the
suggestions in examples/advanced, to replace mail.local but
I get no mail delivery at all. Could it be a permission
problem on the file?

Any suggestions for doing this greatly appreciated.  It's
not urgent.

Thanks,
Matt