Re: Questions on using procmail globally

2002-01-03 01:17:13

Hi Anthony.

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 08:07:23PM -0700, Anthony Hologounis wrote:

I am something of a newbie so please be kind.

Not on this mailing list....  ;)

I have postfix running as my MTA and can use procmail on a per user basis. I
now want to set up procmail globally to filter out the obvious spam.

Careful.  If you have alot of users, you'll may get serious complaints
if you don't give your users the option of not subscribing to your
filtering policies.

I want all the spam I filter to go to a folder so I can visually inspect it
on occasion before it gets deleted permanently.

You might want to try the approach of having your main procmailrc
(/etc/procmailrc or /usr/local/etc/procmailrc) add a unique header
line to any spam it finds rather than just saving it to a folder.  Then
spam handling can be applied on a per-user basis while your set of rules
for identification is handled centrally.

I created a SPAM file in the /home directory and this works but the only way
I can get procmail to write to it is if I make the file 666. I would rather
not have the file world writeable.

This is not The Way.  Remember that procmail only starts to run as the
user once it has finised reading the default procmailrc, so ownership
and permission issues (like writing to mail folders) should be handled
there rather than in /etc/procmailrc.  Check out the examples at the top
of http://www.it.ca/software/procmail-spamtrap to see how I handle this.

I suppose, if you're desperate to do everything in /etc/procmailrc, you
could always set DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/spamtrap .

--
  Paul Chvostek
<paul(_at_)it(_dot_)ca>