Lean mean stripped down e-mail

2002-01-03 07:24:33
I have a friend who wants to retrieve their e-mail via a satellite phone
- this is a 2400 baud connection, ie much slower even than a mobile
phone dialup.

He currently finds that it takes an extremely long time to download even
a few e-mails (POP3), especially seeing as many people use default
outlook settings and send HTML/rich text e-mail.

I have a linux box configured with Postfix, procmail, etc and have
offered to look into hosting his e-mail if I can work out how to
clean-up and strip out attachments from his received messages.  It
occurs to me that there may already be some sort of add-in to mail
systems, or even a commercial provider, which can  offer a slimmed down
text only, no XHeader, etc e-mail server

Perhaps someone here has some suggestions as to where I could look?

Also stage 2 of this is to monitor for new mail and second an e-mail
(which gets converted to an SMS message by the satellite company)
whenever mail arrives.  This would allow him to see if it was worth
connecting and downloading the message.  This was something that I was
going to write, but perhaps there is someone who has already done
something like this?

Many thanks for any help!

Ed Wildgoose