Re: Why is formail escaping "From " ?

2002-01-14 07:34:54
For doing so I am using the command
formail -b -e -d -c -f -m 6 -s procmail < /tmp/mybigfatinbox
where the switch '-b' is supposed to leave the "From " headers
untouched.

Indeed that is how it is supposed to work.

I am wondering why the headers get escaped, in spite of the
configuration switch I have used ?

How sure are you that it is formail that is causing the problem?

If you test just formail, for example, at a shell prompt:

   (echo "From here"; echo "From there"; echo "From Everywhere") \
        | formail -b -e -d -c -f -m 6 -s

I get the output:

  From here

  From there
  From Everywhere

with no escaping.  Do you get escaped 'From's?

If you don't then the escaping is not being done by that formail command
but by something in your .procmailrc file.  Probably you are delivering
to a mailbox somewhere.  Mailbox format has escaped 'From's, so procmail
will make sure that they are escaped when it delivers them.

If it makes things any clearer, try using a .procmailrc like this:

  :0 c:
  * ^From here
  fromtest1

  :0:
  * ^From here
  | cat >>fromtest2

and from a shell do this:

   (echo "From here"; echo "From there"; echo "From Everywhere") \
        | formail -b -e -d -c -f -m 6 -s procmail

and take a look at the two files fromtest1 and fromtest2.

The first, where delivery is to a mailbox, has escaped 'From's.  The
second, where delivery is to a program (cat) the 'From's are not
escaped.

Hope that helps,
Martin
--
Martin McCarthy                 /</                  PGP key available
    `Procmail Companion'        \>\  http://www.ancient-scotland.co.uk