Why was there no error?

2002-01-19 16:25:55
I had this recipe.  Note the typo in the condition:

 LOCKFILE = $cachename.$LOCKEXT
 :0c
 * ! H ? ?? formail -rD $size $cachename
 | ( formail -rt ; cat replytext ) | $SENDMAIL $SENDMAILFLAGS -t
 LOCKFILE

The action was run on every message for which procmail got to that point, but
the cache was not getting created and respondee addresses were not saved.  So
I looked at it an noticed the typo.  I corrected it:

 * ! H ?? ? formail -rD $size $cachename

and now hope that it will work, but something puzzles me: while it was still
inncorect as

why were there no syntax errors logged for it?  Procmail must have taken it
for a negated regexp condition, to check the head (not because of the H on
the condition but because of the lack of a B on the flag line), and the first
H was literal, the first " ?" meant "zero or one space," and the two dollar
signs each meant a newline.  But why didn't " ??" cause a syntax error in the
log?