Re: is $PMDIR obsolete?

2002-01-30 21:12:59
Parv_ replied to Pollywog,

| hunh?  please re-read the comment.
|
| or, let me rephrase that: if i don't find any mention of PMDIR
| variable in procmail(1) and procmailrc(5), does that mean PMDIR has
| become obsolete?

Then I guess that Parv_ won't be content with my earlier response either.

OK, here goes again:

PMDIR was never lete (as that which is not inept is "ept").  It was never an
official part of procmail.  It has never, never been mentioned in the man
pages.  It never had a preset value (you had to set it yourself in your
~/.procmailrc or on the command line unless the sysadmin did in
/etc/procmailrc).  It never had a special meaning to procmail as MAILDIR or
DROPPRIVS or HOST or TRAP does.

It was simply a variable used in the examples in Nancy McGough's starter
guide.  A lot of procmail users who began with Nancy's sample recipes stuck
with them or built on them, continuing to use PMDIR, but again, it was never
an official part of procmail, it has never been in the man pages, it never
had a preset compiled-in value, and it never had a special meaning to
procmail when you referred to it or assigned it: it is just an ordinary
variable that many people like to use.

It is of the same degree of usefulness now as ever, namely, it's of exactly
how much use each person decides to use it for.