Re: Converting message files to mbox

2002-02-01 19:56:46
On Fri, 2002-02-01 at 17:45, Professional Software Engineering wrote:

That is so vague as to not be helpful at all - why not just post the header
lines from an example message?

Sorry, I didn't intend to be vague. It's just a single mail message with
all the headers except the From separator seen in mbox format. The first
two lines are a Return-Path: and Received: header.

Are you suggesting that the timestamp of the message be used to produce a
from line?  Is there a reason you'd expect your new mail program to
actually _care_ about it?

It's Evolution, and I can sort messages by Received time as well as Sent
time. An experiment indicates that it's not looking at the "From "
separator for the Received column, so I guess the value of that
timestamp is moot. Your solution should be fine.

Why not just use a simple shell script:

for x in `ls -r -t *.MSG`
  do
   formail < $x >> oldmail.mbx
  done

Thanks. Is there a way to get formail to generate Content-length headers
instead of escaping From lines in bodies? (I'm showing my cluelessness
here, but I was under the impression that modern mbox files used the
former to avoid the need for the latter.) Or does it already do that?