RE: lists.rc

2002-02-04 12:16:19
At 10:47 2002-02-04 +0200, nimrod cohen did say:
The "LOGNAME" don't work.. no match found at all

Something seems broke with your configuration then. Have you read the manpages? $LOGNAME should be set to the recipient userid in any event. Try enabling a logfile (and while debugging your problem, you ARE running 'VERBOSE=ON' right?), then add the following before your rules:

        LOG="LOGNAME is $LOGNAME
"

Then, send some test messages to these users and see what $LOGNAME shows up as.

It'd be handy if you confirmed whether you're running this "lists.rc" from within your /etc/procmailrc or not. As I indicated (and for both of your other two messages), your inquiry is too vague.

How can I modified the procmail invocation in my sendmail.cf
To pass the envelope information to procmail

Read 'man procmail', note commandline arguments, then check out the sendmail documentation (not the manpage, but the Installation and Operation Guide, available as a postscript file in the sendmail source distribution). You'll need to alter your sendmail.cf, which you do at your own risk. sendmail.cf isn't a place for people to delve if they don't understand it - certainly not on a _live_ system, where _real_ mail will be impacted.

In doing so, you'll come to the conclusion that in LDA mode, -a only specifies ONE commandline parm, and using multiple -a arguments results in only the LAST appearance taking effect. -d must appear at the end of the commandline (because it may specify multiple recipients). The end result: unless someone is aware of some trickery, you can't specify multiple arguments in LDA mode.

This is in contrast to running procmail with the -m option (specifying an rcfile) which can be followed by zero or more arguments.

I rather prefer to add X-Envelope-To and X-Envelope-From headers to the messages, which tacks the envelope data onto the message headers for convenient future use. Try hitting usenet and searching for these two header names, sendmail.cf, and procmail.

I suggest you first figure out what is wrong with your config that the $LOGNAME var (and the recipe I previously provided) doesn't work.

[snip - wow, the previous message.  Please trim when replying.]