Re: Double posts

2002-02-13 13:04:08
On 12 Feb 02, Professional Software Engineering
(PSE-L(_at_)mail(_dot_)professional(_dot_)org) wrote:
At 21:21 2002-02-12 +0100, Mark did say:
For some reason I always seem to get two identical copies of each post on
this list; has someone any idea why?

I don't have access to your mailbox.  Want to give it to me?  Failing that,
surely you've examined the headers of your mail to check:

         1. They're actually recieved at your mailhost with the same SMTP ID
         (indicating they're the SAME message and YOUR rules are 'c'opying
them)

         2. If not #1, then perhaps the messages are being received by
DIFFERENT
         email addresses, which resolve to the same mailbox?

Something I've noticed on other lists (especially when windows users
are involved), some people do a group-reply or reply-to-all to list
messages, so I get a reply sent to me via the list and an exact
duplicate to my personal address.

Stick this in your procmailrc to remove duplicates.
# remove duplicate messages using a message id cache
# but only if addressed to a list
:0:
* ^(List-Id|Mailing-List|X-Mailing-List|Sender|Resent-Sender):
* ?formail -D 10000 ${HOME}/.Mail/.dup-id-cache
dup-mail

--
Stephen Patterson http://www.lexx.uklinux.net/
s(_dot_)patterson(_at_)SPAM(_dot_)freeuk(_dot_)com (remove spam to reply)