Re: Autoresponder

2002-03-15 12:20:33
At 15:14 2002-03-15 +0100, wojna did say:

[snip]

as  test(_at_)wojna(_dot_)info, there is no autoresponder-mail going out to
test(_at_)wojna(_dot_)info whereas all other external adresses
(wojna(_at_)gmx(_dot_)de) get an answer. Where is the error?

Perhaps you could first confirm whether procmail is even being invoked, and how it is configured in the system? Does your *VERBOSE* procmail log report anything when you send your test message? Are you perhaps filtering the local mail someplace earlier in your filters?

FTR - you should explicitly deal with mailer daemon messages as well - you shouldn't autorespond to a bounce:

* ! ^FROM_DAEMON

You should endeavour to filter mailing lists BEFORE this vacation filter.

You should NOT autorespond to any message of precedence 'junk' or 'bulk', which are common generic identifiers for mailing lists:

* ! ^Precedence:[       ]*(junk|bulk)

You should consider stuffing the From: and/or reply-To: addresses into a data file and ensuring that the person sending the message you're planning on autoreplying to hasn't ALREADY receieved such a notice - that way, when someone forwards you information, and already knows you're away (or at least does after your FIRST vacation message), they don't continue to be bombed with notices.

Also, if *YOUR* address doesn't appear in the To: field, or _possibly_ in the Cc: (I wouldn't use the Cc: myself), then DO NOT autoreply, as the message wasn't personally addressed in the clear. This also helps prevent atrocities on mailing lists.

* ^(To|Cc):(_dot_)*myaddress(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)tld

If you cannot do these things, you should NOT run an autoresponder. Simply checking for an X-Loop isn't sufficient.