Re: Out of Memory errors

2002-03-18 02:28:00
On Sat, 16 Mar 2002 08:31:27 -0600, I wrote:

When I start to get the errors again, probably in a
couple of weeks, I do some more checks and report back.

I've found out today that I can speed this process up. I ran the recipe in a
loop for a little while, and started getting the memory errors after about
20 minutes.

It appears that procmail is actually trying to allocate 128MB of memory, and
as the cached figure rises above a certain figure after a reboot that
allocation fails.

The good news is that David's suggestion is absolutely accurate, and this
only happens with the VARIABLE=|commands construct and not
VARIABLE=`commands`.

So the revised recipe is now:

LOGFILE=./procmail.logfile
LOGABSTRACT=y
VERBOSE=y
PAGNUM=12345678
COMSAT=no

SUBJECT=`formail -zxSubject:`
FROM=`formail -rtzxTo:`

:0
*!^FROM_DAEMON
*!^From:[       ]*my(_at_)own(_dot_)address
* ? egrep "$FROM" ./vip.group
{
:0ci
| mpage.pl $PAGNUM UFEmail! Fr:$FROM Sub:$SUBJECT

:0ac
*<5000
{
MESSAGE=|formail -I "" | sed ':a;N;s/^\n//;s/[\n        ]\{1,\}/ /g;ta;' | \
head -c 134

:0
| mpage.pl $PAGNUM Em:$MESSAGE

By the way, is the second 'copy' option redundant, as it's referring to a
bracketed list?