Re: formail to split digest with indented From and Date

2002-03-23 15:27:48
Anita Lewis has problems after splitting a digest that contains
messages like this:

-----
Message: 1
   Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 23:47:02 EST
   From: someone(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: the time of day

Dear Friends,
-----

... due to the spaces used for indentation. Anita, try inserting this
before your recipe that calls formail to split the digest:

    :0 fbw
    | sed "/^Message:/,/^Subject:/s/^   //"

(Three spaces between "^" and "/".) This deletes three spaces at the
beginning of each line between the message number and the subject
line, so the Date: and From: move to the beginning of the line. If
some of the messages include other header lines with a different
amount of spaces, you can change that to

    :0 fbw
    | sed "/^Message:/,/^Subject:/s/^ *//"

(Can Date and From - or other lines, if present - run over more than
one line in these digests? That might cause problems and the sed call
should be modified then, but I don't think that's really something to
worry about.)

By the way:

       * ^Subject:.*[Somename]

You probably want "\[" instead of "[" in that line. As written, this
matches any subject containing one of the characters between the
brackets, not the literal expression opening bracket - name - closing
bracket.

/HW