Re: Maildir format

2002-03-26 08:36:01
Mark Medina asked,

| I have a small yet puzzling question.  I have maildir format setup on
| one of my servers where mail gets delivered to the user's home directory
| /home/test/Maildir.  My question is, if that is working fine and mail
| gets dumped in there, is there a reason for an empty file to be created
| in /var/spool/mail/test (test being the username) everytime an email is
| sent to that user?

Common problem.  That's about the third time that's been asked in the last
couple weeks.

| Is this a result from sendmail or procmail?

Procmail is doing it.  It can be made to stop.

The usual cause when this happens is that you have /var/spool/mail/$LOGNAME
as the compiled-in value of ORGMAIL and are trying to get mail into
~/Maildir/ by reassigning ORGMAIL or DEFAULT or both in /etc/procmailrc.

But before procmail looks for /etc/procmailrc, much less reads it, it does
checks the accessibility of $ORGMAIL according to the compiled-in value.
Moreover, if the user invokes procmail in a way that skips reading
/etc/procmailrc, or tries to use lockfile's -ml or -mu switches, everything
will run according to the compiled-in value for ORGMAIL.

The solution is to edit src/authenticate.c and recompile procmail and
lockfile, including their man pages (or just recompile the whole suite).