procmail with spamassassin

2002-04-01 12:47:48
I can't get spamc v2.11 & procmail v3.11pre4 to cooperate on my
Solaris 2.8 box.

I've have spamc v2.11 and procmail v3.15 working fine on Mandrake 8.0.

On the broken system I can pipe some spam to spamc and it get's
altered, including the addition of the spam status line, just
fine.  If I cat the same message to sendmail, I can see in the
procmail log file that it tries to run spamc on the message, but
then procmail doesn't detect the spam status line and the junk
ends up in my inbox.  I've sent a message in which I added the
spam status line by hand and procmail deals with it as if it
were spam.  So, I think my problem is that spamc isn't behaving
correctly, but only when being called from procmail.

The "broken" system's procmailrc looks like this:

    MAILDIR=/home/kevinc/Mail

    # DROPPRIVS=yes
    LOGFILE=/home/kevinc/var/log/procmail
    VERBOSE=yes

    # Tag spam, pass non-spam untouched.
    :0fw
    | /home/kevinc/bin/spamc -p 7783

    # This is slower than spamc, and exits with status code -11
    # :0fw
    # | /home/kevinc/bin/spamassassin -P

    # File the spam.
    :0:
    spamspool

    # put all good mail in local spool
    :0:
    * ^.*
    spool

As you might be able to tell from the above recipe,
spamassassin is installed in my own account on the
system.  You can't tell that procmail is being run by the
system under whatever UID my sysadmin chose.

For what it's worth, I started spamd not as a daemon and
kept track of it's output in a file.  When I cat
something to spamc on command line, then I get evidence
of it in the spamd log.  When I send some spam through
the sendmail -> procmail -> spamc -> spamd loop, then
there is no evidence of it in the spamd log.  Yes, I started
spamd with the same port as I'm using with spamc.  I have to
use an unprivileged port because I'm not starting spamd as
root.  Specificly, before doing any testing, I start the
spamd daemon like so:

    spamd -p 7783 >&! _LOG &

The log file looks like so:

    debug: ignore: test message to precompile patterns and load modules
    debug: using "/login/kevinc/share/spamassassin" for default rules dir
    debug: using "/login/kevinc/etc/spamassassin" for site rules dir
    debug: running header regexp tests; score so far=0
    debug: running body-text per-line regexp tests; score so far=4.8
    debug: running raw-body-text per-line regexp tests; score so far=4.8
    debug: running full-text regexp tests; score so far=4.8
    debug: Razor is not available
    debug: is Net::DNS::Resolver unavailable? 1
    debug: is DNS available? 0
    debug: checking RBL orbs.dorkslayers.com., set relay
    debug: checking RBL inputs.orbz.org., set relay
    debug: checking RBL relays.osirusoft.com., set relay
    debug: checking RBL relays.ordb.org., set relay
    debug: checking RBL ipwhois.rfc-ignorant.org., set rfci
    debug: checking RBL relays.visi.com., set relay
    debug: checking RBL results in set relay for 127.0.0.6
    debug: checking RBL results in set relay for 127.0.0.4
    debug: AWL active, pre-score: 7.1, mean: undef
    debug: Post AWL score: 7.1
    debug: is spam? score=7.1 required=5
    server started on port 7783
    server pid: 14880
    logmsg: server started on port 7783
    logmsg: server killed by SIGTERM, shutting down

When I cat messages to spamc, then I get good dialog in the above
log.  When I send messages, then I get no dialog in the above file.

I also tried running spamassassin instead of spamc in the
above recipe.  But, procmail tells me that it didn't run
and had an exit status of -11.

The recipe for the working system is below:

    LOGFILE=/var/log/procmail

    :0fw
    | /usr/bin/spamc

    :0:

On this system, spamd runs as user spamd and procmail
get's started by postfix.

Well, if you've read this far, then here are a few entries from
my procmail log:

    procmail: Notified comsat: "kevinc(_at_)0:/home/kevinc/Mail/spamspool"
    procmail: [8904] Fri Mar 29 18:09:05 2002
    procmail: Executing "/home/kevinc/bin/spamc,-p,7783"
    procmail: [8904] Fri Mar 29 18:09:05 2002
    procmail: No match on "^X-Spam-Status: Yes"
    procmail: Match on "^.*"
    procmail: Locking "spool.lock"
    procmail: Assigning "LASTFOLDER=spool"
    procmail: Opening "spool"