Re: scanning for text within the first few lines of the body?

2002-04-01 22:11:49
Sean> I know I can accomplish this easily enough in perl, but I'd rather not
Sean> fire up a perl process on each message if I can help it.

        What about running a continuous perl co-process?
AFAIR, perl has the capability that I would implement using gawk's |& thing.

        If the stream of emails come through in mailbox format, then
distinguishing boundaries is not so hard?

        As an alternative to pipes, both gawk and perl have facilities
for communicating over tcp/ip ports. Mind you, the overhead of the
protocol stack might not appeal much.

        (Maybe procmail needs the pass-persist facility from net-snmp.
There a simple directive in a config file establishes IPC with a
co-process. ;-)

Erik