Re: Logging to syslog? and/or with message ids?

2002-04-03 15:27:45
Jen asked me,

| One thing that immediately confused me was your indentation and line
| breaks.  Why are all lines except for the ones that begin with quotes
| indented by a space?

Just my preference.  One space of the indentation was to set the code off
from the text about it.  When I add a nesting level in braces for more than a
single assignment, I like to indent to keep track of the nesting depth.  When
I chain recipes with A, e, a (though not so much with E), I like to indent
along the chain.  Procmail doesn't care, but I find it easier to read.

| And why is there a return before [the lines that begin with quotes]?  Is
this so
| that a line break is included in the logs?

Yes, that's why.  An assignment to LOG doesn't automatically add a newline to
the logfile; if it did, you couldn't use LOG= to record a string that will
need something more to the right.

| I guess there isn't something \n that could be used instead?

\n won't work, but a lot of people like to do this near the top of the
rcfile:

NL="
"

And thereafter every LOG assignment that needs a closing newline can be
written this way:

LOG="whatever$NL"

While we're at it, I made another goof:

 TRAP=`formail -XMessage-Id:`

is wrong for logging it at the end.  It should be

 TRAP='formail -XMessage-Id:'

because TRAP has to be a command string, not a text string.