Re: local delivery fails -- sendmail 8.11.6 using procmail for local delivery

2002-04-04 16:59:57
At 15:07 2002-04-04 -0500, Errol Casey did say:
Recently, I upgraded a Redhat 7.1 system to use Sendmail 8.11.6 (vs
8.11.2);
and upgraded Procmail from 3.14 to 3.15.2

You don't indicate if you were _previously_ even using sendmail as the LDA.

I'm down getting a EX_TEMPFAIL error from procmail when local delivery
is attempted.

Sendmail seems to accept the mail for delivery fine based on logs.

Do the logs contain any reference to procmail issues? "suspicious" files and such?

Below is a copy of the queue file indicating the defered state.

The queue file is a decidedly SENDMAIL thing, and has nothing to do with procmail, save the ONE line that says procmail exited with this result, which you related above.

MDeferred: local mailer (/usr/bin/procmail) exited with EX_TEMPFAIL
[kersnip]

'man procmail'  search for TEMPFAIL.

What is your LDA commandline?

Do you have an /etc/procmailrc that isn't good? (improper privledges, ownership, etc) ?

Do you have sufficient disk space?

Do you have a quota issue?

What user is sendmail being invoked as?

Who owns the procmail binary?  Is it SETGID or SETUID?

EX_TEMPFAIL is a return code that some people elect to use from their filters to make fake bounces. Are you sure you don't have an /etc/procmailrc ?

Did you install sendmail and/or procmail from a "package" rather than SOURCE?