Allowing users to block email addresses??

2002-04-05 09:07:39
I believe that this is possible through procmail but I am not sure how to even begin to set this up. Let me give you a little background. We are running our email system on a Solaris box right now, with the possibility of moving to a Linux based system in the next year. We have over 35,000 accounts on the system currently. None of those accounts have shell access to the system. As much as we try the other system administrator and I just can not seem to keep up blocking all of the Spam that it coming in.

I would like to allow students to be able to block any mail from coming into their own account. So if Sally no longer want to receive mail from acompany.com she can block it from reaching her account but Johnny can still receive it in his account. Since no accounts have shell access, this would have to be done through a web form.

My questions are:

  Is this possible?
  Has anyone done this successfully?
Can someone please point me in the right direction or even share some sample code?
  Would this cause any performance degradation on the system?

Thanks in advance for any advice or words of wisdom you can provide

Theresa

"Difficulties exist to be surmounted."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Theresa M Peter