How to scan bounced mail and detect bounced address

2002-04-08 20:24:59
Hi all,

I am running a web site that continuously send newsletter to members. We
currently have no means to validate registered e-mail address (well it's
'executive decision' that not allowing us to validate or at least ask
confirmation on registration). So as everybody can predict, we have a lot of
invalid addresses that bombing our servers with bounced mails. (Believe me,
I've told 'them' about this and the result is our bandwidth is now 4 times
wider :( What a solutions!).

Anyway, I have set up procmail rules that capture bounce mail, especially ones
with 'invalid user' or 'unknown user' or any kind of that message that tell me
the address is invalid. But, I do not know how I can get the invalid address
from the bounced mail. Is anyone have any idea about this? (Advice on how I can
convince our directors to use some kind of e-mail validation scenario are also
welcome).

Thanks to you all.