Re: How to scan bounced mail and detect bounced address

2002-04-08 20:55:28
On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Dapid Candra wrote:

Anyway, I have set up procmail rules that capture bounce mail,
especially ones with 'invalid user' or 'unknown user' or any kind of
that message that tell me the address is invalid. But, I do not know how
I can get the invalid address from the bounced mail. Is anyone have any
idea about this?

Your best bet is to use something called a VERP -- "variable envelope
return path."  This means nothing more than placing a unique ID of some
kind, corresponding to the recipient, into the SMTP "MAIL FROM:" address.
Then when the bounce comes back, you don't have to parse it -- you just
look at the address to which the bounce itself was delivered, and that
tells you to whom the message was sent.

Exactly how you'd go about creating an appropriate VERP depends on what
software you're using to generate the newsletters and receive the bounces.