RE: wanted: recipie to combine + sort

2002-04-11 10:21:23
procmail(_at_)Lists(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DEJesse F wrote (in part):
hello everyone, i am looking for a 'one time' recipe that will
newly formed folder.  essentially the problem arises from my pre-procmail
existence where i saved messages without any real discrimination.  i'd
like to specify some regexp targeted on the sender of the mail.

As a follow-up - extracting the author info (ie the From: address) in a form
suitable for filing can be a bit more work than it looks at first, because from
addresses come in many forms (including alternate character sets). I wrote an
'awk' script once which handled most of the common forms, and tried to ferret
out whether the person's name appeared "Last, First" in its quoted form - but
the result is approximate at best. Some of the newer mail parsing libraries
that are availabe in Perl's CPAN library may help by at least properly parsing
the From: address.