Re: Procmail 3.22 running out of memory

2002-04-16 10:57:42
Michael Martel wrote,

| I sent this to the esd-l list this morning, and I have since tracked it
| down to the version of Procmail.  If I use Procmail 3.22 then it fails, if
| I use 3.15 or 3.15.2 it works fine.

Michael didn't include the recipe that's causing the trouble, but his excerpt
from the logfile gives this clue:

| procmail: Assigning "REPORT="
| procmail: Out of memory

I'm guessing that it's a variable capture recipe, like this:

 :0 flags
 * conditions
 VARIABLE=| command

Procmail 3.22 has that problems with variable capture recipes under many
OSes.  For now, the workaround is to use a backquote assignment instead:

 :0 flags
 * conditions
 { VARIABLE=`command` }

That can be a pain, though, if there would have been an `h' flag (without
`b') or `b' (without `h') on the variable capture recipe in order to feed
only the head or only the body to the command.  Unfortunately, the only way
to do that seems to be to use another program to remove the part that
shouldn't be fed and to pipe it to the command:

 VARIABLE=`sed '/^$/q | command`    # simulates `h'
 VARIABLE=`formail -X "" | command` # simulates `h'
 VARIABLE=`formail -I "" | command` # simulates `b', almost
                                    # (also feeds blank line at neck)
 VARIABLE=`sed '1,/^$/d' | command` # simulates `b'

On the other hand, it makes an `i' flag unnecessary.