How to do a complicated auto-reply?

2002-04-17 09:25:40
Hello folks,

        It has been quite awhile since I last asked a question here.
I have looked at all the auto reply messages here as well as for
"procmail autoresponder" on Google, and still have not found a
solution.

        For certain e-mail that I receive, I add a number of X-*data:
headers, where * represents one or more ASCII characters.  These
e-mails then may have one or more of such headers.

        To such an e-mail I would like to auto-reply, and do special
things dependent for _each_ X-*data: header.

        Question: is it possible to split up an auto-reply across
multiple recipes?  Is it possible to slowly build the auto-reply body
across multiple recipes?

        For the moment, I cannot get past the _first_ recipe that
creates the body: the echo "Hello".  Rcount contains the number of
X-*data: that have been treated.

:0 fhw
* rcount ?? ^0^
| formail -rtA"X-Loop:      sobek(_at_)irit(_dot_)fr" \
            -I"Reply-To:    sobek(_at_)irit(_dot_)fr" \
            -I"Subject:     $rsubj" \
            -a"Message-ID:"

:0 e
{
    LOG="****Error: Formail failed at `date`
"
}

# Replace body with reply
:0 fbw
* rcount ?? ^0^
| echo "Hello $FULLNAME, \
\
"

:0 Efbw
| echo "I am also interested ... $Name\
\
"

# add data-file
:0 b
| cat -; cat $FILE

:0 Ab
| cat -; echo " "

        In case this cannot be done, then possible via recursive RC
files.  For example:

rc1:

treat X-1Data:

        rc2:

        treat X-2Data:

                rc3:

                treat X-3Data:

                intialize auto-reply

                end

        add to auto-reply

        end

add to auto-reply

call sendmail

I suppose that procmail RC files cannot have local variables.

Another possibility is to write everything to a temporary file, and
the do an auto-reply at the end.  This looks like the most plausible
solution.  Is it possible to get procmail's PID in order to create a
unique temporary file idenifier?

Thanks for your suggestions and ideas.

        --Ralph

Dr. Ralph P. Sobek                Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
Ralph.Sobek @ irit.fr                                     http://www.sobek.org/
sobek @ irit.fr                   Wi-Fi:  http://www.irit.fr/~Ralph.Sobek/wifi
Ph:(+33)[0]561556356   FAX:(+33)[0]561556847   http://www.irit.fr/~Ralph.Sobek/