Re: flock in procmail and sendmail vs. forks

2002-04-24 19:47:38
=?iso-8859-2?Q?Martin_MOKREJ=A9?= <mmokrejs(_at_)natur(_dot_)cuni(_dot_)cz>
writes:
 I'd like to suggest that maybe the locking testing program which is run
before one actually compiles procmail binary, could do same trick - try to
fork and see if child sees the original lock.

procmail's locktst program doesn't test the behavior of locking across
forks, because procmail never holds a kernel lock across a fork.  It only
holds kernel locks while writing to a mailbox.

 I'd like to know your opinions on this topic and if there're any
consequences for promcail, which on our system is:

None that I can think of.  This appears to have merely been a bug in
the configuration of your sendmail binary that Smartlist tickled when
it forced a queue run.

Philip Guenther
Procmail Maintainer