mail lost in a black void

2002-04-24 23:20:24
Hellow,

I was following a tutorial for procmail/fbsd at
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2001/12/06/FreeBSD_Basics.html?page=2
and it said to install procmail, edit out the sample recipes from
procmailrc, then first test procmailrc, fetchmail, and mutt to make sure
one's mail is still working; and only then add in some recipes from there.
(My ~/Mail dir exists.)

Trouble is, after I installed procmail and edited out the sample recipes, I
could not retrieve my mail from mutt.  I am on several fbsd lists and
receive quite a bit of mail; now I don't know where it's going.

I send test messages, addressed to all 4 of my email accounts, from my
Windows computer.Then I wait a few hours, then start fetchmail from fbsd
4.4, then open in mutt--nothing is there!!!  But then I wait a while more
and go back to windows to try to retrieve the messages with OutLook and the
messages do not show up there either!!!  If fetchmail is not retrieving
them, then Outlook should, but since Outlook is not, fetchmail must be!!
But where are they going????

I.e., if my windows machine is sending and receiving mail properly, which it
is, then my fbsd machine is somehow retrieving my test and other messages
off of the remote server, but I don't know at all where it's putting them.

I do not see that my logs tell me what is happening.  How can I find out
what is going on here.

TIA,

Vberic