Re: Adding Delivered-To to header

2002-04-25 12:38:17
At 10:43 2002-04-25 -0400, Hermann Wecke did say:
How I can add Delivered-To: and/or X-Envelope-To: header to every message?

Is this done at procmail level (MUA) or at sendmail (MTA)???

MUA = Mail User Agent (elm, pine, mutt, emacs, Eudora, Pegasus, OutBreak, etc)

MTA = Mail Transfer Agent (Sendmail, Exim, Postfix, qmail, MS Exchange (bad excuse for one, but that's what it is))

LDA = Local Delivery Agent (sendmail.cf 'MLocal' config item - MAY be procmail, but may not be, say if you have to invoke procmail via a .forward file)

The LDA is told the LOCAL *USERNAME* (not address, or specific alias) that the message is being delivered to. The MUA doesn't know anything that isn't IN the message already, since it reads the mailbox. The MTA is the program which knows the envelope address for a message, and as such, is the one program in a position to add that to the message.

I searched the list and found two messages,

Search some more.

(these two are the closest match to what I'm looking for:

Describes USING a delivered-to header, which presumes it EXISTS. The message doesn't imply creating the header.

This one clearly suggests going to comp.mail.sendmail or the deja usenet archives for an answer. Seems like sound advice.

The following might be more up your alley:

Followup for MTA support should be directed to the appropriate newsgroup for that MTA.