Re: EXITCODE doesn't seem to work

2002-06-21 08:09:56
From: "David W. Tamkin" <dattier(_at_)ripco(_dot_)com>

Hans followed up,

| I assumed that Sendmail would
| pick this up while still talking to the MTA on the other side of the
| line and tell it that it couldn't deliver the message. And I still
| assume this is possible.

I've heard that there are MTAs that can consult with per-user filter rules
(perhaps not as fancy as what procmail can do, but at least with some rules)
before giving an SMTP response code.  At least then the bounce notice goes to
the owner of the SMTP sending process rather than to the envelope sender, and
while it still does no good (the spammer or relayer will ignore it), at least
it will do no harm.

Sendmail can probably do this with an appropriate milter (mail filter).
In fact, we have considered doing something in this direction locally;
the problem is getting the appropriate user data to the milter so that
this accept/reject decision is under user control.