Re: remove return receipt? (procmail s*bs)

2002-06-26 18:46:31
At 09:02 2002-06-27 +0900, Nelson Henry Eric wrote:
> You're kidding?  When did the procmail list switch to requiring
> subscription in order to post?  It's been a free-for-all for a LONG

Since at least around November 2001, when I first began to read procmail-
users.  Starting from sometime around January 2002, this list became finicky
about what machine you could subscribe from.

Hmm, I didn't pay close attention (not having had any problems with the list processor myself), but they probably changed list processor versions (or just the config), and the new one may require that you confirm from the same address as you're trying to subscribe with. How often were you trying to subscribe, such that you'd know that it had developed this problem?

From the beginning of SEP 2002 (or earlier, that's merely as far back as I checked, because it predates your join date), through 04 APR 2002, the list was identifying as:

From 05 APR 2002 through 24 MAY 2002, it was:

Since then:

I don't know what would have changed in January, but the config certainly might have been changed to be more restrictive about posters.

This creates havoc for people who are behind a firewall and have an upstream name server,

What does your nameserver have to do with it? For that matter, where your individual PC is - if your PC is NAT'd or somesuch, one would hope you've got the MTA configured to properly masquerade. The mail server shouldn't care where your message is coming from so long as the From: address properly matches that of a subscriber.

Unless of course, your mail host is listed in a DNSBL and the list server is blocking you out because of that. We know that aachen.de uses (or has used) DNSBLs - at the very end of December 2001. procmail.org itself was blocked because of a system configuration problem that resulted in it ending up on a blacklist (orbz). If your mail is being rejected because your host is in a blacklist, perhaps you should work to fix THAT problem and/or switch to a provider that takes being listed in a blacklist more seriously.

(To post, I am still having to ftp the mail back to a defunct account which is set up to forward all mail to live accounts.

Needless to say, there's something wrong with that. I strongly suspect your regular mail host is listed in a blacklist, and that's the cause of the problem you describe.