Re: Using procmail for small mailing lists

2002-07-12 20:21:15
Because me(_at_)domain(_dot_)com is handled by the SAME PROCMAILRC file?
Then it
isn't a separate system user:

I use procmail for small mailing lists, but I don't manage them from
WITHIN a user account receiving mail - it's handled on a user account
which > is ONLY mailing lists.

The X-Loop should protect you from the list picking up it's own
messages.  Skip over the recipe if the X-Loop is set, and you should be
cool.

Ok I under stand what you mean now, I'm a little slow I guess, I told you I
was new :-D. Everything is handled by the same procmail.rc file. My list
works, I am even able to add my list name to the subject.
-A"Subject: [$listname] $SUBJECT" \

 I still can't have any of my accounts on the list. There is also a section
that will forward mail to the admin if certain requirements are met (not
met) but it pukes on that too and starts looping. Any additional Ideas?

:0 A
* $!^From:.$listaddr
* $!^From:.$listadmin
! $listadmin

Could I munge the To address on outbound mail to something else that
wouldn't get picked up?
list(_at_)domain(_dot_)com is my list, and people send to that, but when it
gets spit
out it would say something else, sent-list(_at_)domain(_dot_)com say. That is
where I
keep getting stuck in these loops.

HAHA that worked. I feel like a genius. Boy have I got a lot to learn :-D
-I"To: sent-$listowner" \

Actually it is ugly. Mail shows as from the sender, with a return address of
the list, and to: sent-list(_at_)domain(_dot_)com(_dot_)
OE and hotmail seem to work fine, Outlook of course screws everything up.
But I am guessing that is a known issue because the trick I did with the
subject didn't work there either.  Anything else I should look to have
problems with?

If people do a reply to all on the message the original "to:" address will
just go to me. It is hokey but,  I can deal with that.

If anyone sees any glaring holes in what I am doing please let me know.

Thanks again for your time,
michael