procmail filtering of /etc/aliases entries (not users)

2002-07-30 08:08:51
Hi.

I am new to procmail and the list. Sorry if I ask something that is asked and answered somewhere I should have already found it. I have looked unsuccessfully.

My question:

I have an alias -- I'll call it 'mail-alias' here -- in /etc/aliases which corresponds to about 20 email addresses. (The addressees work on a common project). The alias has been on a web-page for some time, so gets a lot of spam. I want to do some filtering of the 'mail-alias' mail, even though there is no user 'mail-alias'. I'd like something like the following sketch of a plan to work:

+++ sketch +++
I move all the addresses for the alias into a text file called addresses.txt, say. Then I change the entry for mail-alias in /etc/aliases to read

mail-alias: "|/usr/bin/procmail /path/to/some_procmail.rc_file"

and I set entries in the file '/path/to/some_procmail.rc_file' to 1) filter out spam and 2) forward the remaining mail to the entries in addresses.txt.
+++ sketch +++

Well, I don't know if the sketch is even close. Has anyone out there done this successfully already? I'd really appreciate some pointers. If the sketch *is* the right sort of thing, has anybody got some help for me about just what needs to go in the .rc file?

Thanks in advance,
John.

--
John McDermott