Re: Auto-answer with attachment

2002-07-30 17:39:36
At 23:41 2002-07-30 +0200, Matthias Wulkow did say:
I'd like procmail to reply including an attachment. Can somebody please tell me how to achieve that?

MIMENCODE.  Hit the procmail list archives.

By the way, just thought about that: what about if somebody sends me already a mail with attachment... is there a way to first delete all attachment before reply?

How about NOT including the whole damn body in the autoreply? If you weren't sent an attachment, but instead a 50KB digest message from a mailing list, do you think anyone would be thrilled to receive their whole message back from you -- especially in an autoreply?

Consider carefully what it is you're hoping to achieve, esp. if you feel that you have a need to reply with an attachment -- if someone is sending messages to a filebot that is responding with a requested resource, that's one thing, but to toss attachments back at people because you're on vacation, expect people to read a disclaimer, or whatever, well, that's just going to come off as inconsiderate of their resources. Can't you simply provide the sender with a web link?

You should first make absolutely sure you have the basic autoreply functionality (sans attachment) down solid - no loops, etc, before adding a file to the mix.