Re: Mojo Mail - Group configuration using Procmail

2002-08-05 18:00:11
At 12:16 2002-08-06 +1200, John Murphy wrote:
I have installed Mojo Mail (http://mojo.skazat.com) and while Mojo can support sendmail and qmail, my server has Procmail (v3.23? anyway above v3.11) installed by default and I'm required and I'm happy to use it.

Procmail IS NOT a replacement for sendmail or qmail. Procmail is an LDA or generic mail filter, while sendmail/qmail are MTAs - Mail Transfer Agents.

The result is that when using an email client to reply to a message, the reply is sent about 400 times, incrementing in size on each occasion, so by the time the 400th message is received (no fun) the message size has gone from 2k to 100k.

That's called an email loop. *YOU* are apparently a recipient of the list message, which arrives in your mailbox and matches the above criteria, thus generating a fresh list message.

I hope the reason for this is my very novice ability in using Procmail and it can be easily solved.

Certainly the LIST messages as resent have other characteristics inserted by the mojo mail process?

If say, your mojo mail inserted an "X-BeenThere:" header (view the messages you receive from the procmail list for example), you could exclude these from resubmission to the list:

:0
* ^TO_mipmail(_at_)smnz\(_dot_)org\(_dot_)nz
* ! ^X-BeenThere: mipmail(_at_)smnz\(_dot_)org\(_dot_)nz
|/home/smnz/cgibin/mojolists/mojo_send.pl

Thus, messages sent by the list wouldn't match the criteria for being passed back into it. Procmail could alternatley ADD headers (search the list archives and FAQs for references to "X-Loop"), but if your mailing list software has a header it always adds, you should start with that. Note that the above is MERELY AN EXAMPLE, based on one of the headers which is present on THIS mailing list, and isn't based on any knowledge whatsoever of your mailing list package.